Monday 16 April 2012

3 days! What (apparently) I am to expect...

So just 3 days until i head off to Peru for my Andes challenge! I have been told a bit more information from the tour operators and some fellow Kilimanjaro trekkers as to what to expect so thought i'd share a bit here (and then can compare when I am back with what it was REALLY like!!!)


The trail takes me through the sacred valley in the Peruvian Andes to the Lares region, a remote area which is rarely touched by other tourists. We are told we are very privileged to be able to spend time in the area and will meet some wonderful locals and get a real insight into Peruvian life! 


Altitude - no one can train for altitude and it is likely that most if not the whole group will experience some form of altitude sickness but apparently this can (and is most likely to happen) on arrival into Cusco! Hopefully sickness, headaches and nausea will pass quickly, but I think I will just need to grin and bear it! 


Apparently the food will be wonderful - lots of local authentic Peruvian stews, fish and lamb - and if you know me, I will be definitely making sure I fill up and try pretty much everything I can (i'll use the excuse that I need the energy...)


So a typical day will involve lovely early mornings... 5:30 wake up, tents cleared and everything packed ready for breakfast and the daily briefing at 6.30, ready to head off by 7! Our trekking days consist of approximately 7 hours trekking a day, passing some amaing inca sites and ruins, stunning scenery and high mountain peaks whilst we hike up and down the mountain passes in the remote region. Day 6 will involve hiking up the mountain of Hatun Paso, our highest peak at 4600m (15,000ft). 


Day 7, our main trekking days are complete and our hard trekking efforts are to be rewarded with a visit to Machu Picchu on a breath taking train journey to Aguas Calientes. From here we move to Machu Picchu, known to be one of the most beautiful and enigmatic ancient sites in the world. Macchu Picchu is actually one of the lowest points of the whole trip and I have been told that it will feel such a relief to be there as altitude will be much less and it really is a rewarding day once the trekking is complete. 


Our final day finishes with our celebration meal with the group and a chance to reminisce about the weeks trek!


Everything sounds wonderful and although its going to be really challenging, i can tell it will be one of the most rewarding things I will ever do. 


I will update you on the challenge when I return on the 28th! xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment